Interview with Ken Kocon, Author of FANTASY FOOTBALL: LESSONS

Ken Kocon is a 41 year old married male with a step son and 2 dogs. One is a yorkie and the other a Lhasa apso, both female. He has 3 brothers, and 1 sister along with nieces and nephews, He graduated from the University of Minnesota with a BS in Econmics and has been a life long resident of Minnesota. Ken currently works as a full time transportation manager and writes in his spare time. He is an avid outdoorsman and enjoy's many sports including football, baseball, tennis, fishing and golf. You can visit his website at http://www.fantasyfootballlessons.com.



When did your passion for writing begin, Ken?

My passion for writing began in High School at Minneapolis Edison. I had a couple of High School teachers and forgive me if I misspell their name as I went to an inner city school. (Local joke), that inspired my creative side. Mr Litowsky, was laid back, but had a subtle way of getting the best out of his students and I always remember that being one of my favorite classes. Mr Wentzel was from the old country, Germany I think, he was strict and structured. Him and I butted heads a few times but he helped me with the X's and O's of the English language and wouldn't accept anything less then my best effort. I received A's in both of their classes and that's when I started to enjoy my writing. However, I was at the young tender age of High School graduate,17. I knew everything and was going to light the world on fire. I just didn't know how yet. I sure as heck didn't think it would be writing.

Can you tell us what your typical “writing” day is like? Do you write full time?

I currently write part time, however my website keeps me extremely busy as we approach the sweet sounds of September. Football season. I write two to three articles or pieces a week and might be doing a column for a paper shortly.

Can you tell us a little about FANTASY FOOTBALL: LESSONS?

My book, Fantasy Football: Lessons is unique reference guide that teaches experienced veterans as well as those new to the game how to have a successful season. Coach Ken teaches seven lesson's that will show the reader step by step strategies that Coach has used over the last ten years to win 5 titles.

Who published your book and how has your experience with them been?

Majestic Mountain Publishing LLC published my book and has been everything I could ask for in a publisher.

Can you tell us the inspiration behind FANTASY FOOTBALL: LESSONS?

The inspiration for my book had been a long time in coming. I always liked to write but never had pursued it. My wife Maria had began to tinker with the idea of a book. I went to the library one day to pickup some books on World War II. I am also a great history buff.
I was at our local library branch and I decided to see if they had a couple of books on writing for my wife. I found two to three that would make for good fodder. My wife didn't find much interest in them, however I found one that hit home. It was called Do you have a book inside you? by Dan Poynter and Mindy Bingham.

My topic inspiration came from my friends and my youngest brother David. He mentioned to me that I was so good at fantasy football I should have my own newsletter or information service. Being an outdoorsman, I spend my winter weekends in my brother-in-law's fishing shack on Mile Lacs Lake. Think of the most boring thing you could be doing right now. Now add minus 15 degrees on top of it. That is pretty much ice fishing when the fish aren't biting.
I spent a lot of time in a sleeping bag, reading, writing and going over in my head how I was going to put this venture together. When the fishing season ended, I penned my book.

Can you tell us ways you are promoting your book? Have they been successful?

Book promotion has been an interesting adventure and interviews from yourself, Dorothy, are great and much appreciated for up and coming authors.

Before a writer does anything they need to put together a promotion binder. This is an idea that I got from Dan Poytner and I keep absolutely everything I do to promote in this binder.
You can get lost on the web, so write everything down.

As for my promotion I have invested in a book or two, like How to publish and promote online by M J Rose and Angela Adair-Hoy. The internet is such a powerful resource. Readers would be surprised with just some quality, goal oriented surfing what they can come up with for free promotion. That is the key word for a lot of new writers who don't have the big budgets. It really is the key to everything on the internet. You can find whatever you need, but the trick is to find it for free.

I have also invested in some paid advertising like Googles Adwords. This has helped direct traffic to my website and significantly increase my book exposure as well as my website. Selfpromotion.com is a wonderful site for reading up on different strategies and ideas, which I have not completely exhausted.

Lastly, I do some of the standard flyer promotions passed out at the metrodome, the University and other core demographic areas.

Who are your favorite authors and why do they inspire you?

My favorite authors have changed over time as my, Dad, sister and brothers are my current book club. We pass around books between us and I am currently reading "The Jester" by James Patterson and Gross. I guess early on I was a huge Stephen King fan from his ability to pull these crazy, scary ideas out of his head. Basically, how does he come up with this stuff. I grew out of King and moved on to Tom Clancy, Clive Clussler and Robert Ludlum and now am into Dale Brown and will be starting Vince Flynn. The strong main character's and their adventures are the main attraction in their writing. My current novel is a action, mystery adventure in a similar high energy format.

What future projects do you have in the works?

My current projects are a fantasy baseball book, and a adventure novel set during a fishing excursion that brings new meaning to "What did you catch?"

What do you feel are the pros and cons of the publishing industry today?

If you want to get published by bigger houses you need to have a marketing plan. It has to be well thought out and you have to be able to talk in numbers. Publisher do not market, authors do. There are other options out there other than the big publishing houses and with ebook and self-publishing anyone can do it. Just remember, on big projects keep focused and disciplined and do a little at a time.

Can you give aspiring authors words of advice towards getting published?

My faith is very important to me as God as given me the gift of being able to teach people things. As I hope someone has learned from this.

Can you tell us where we can go to buy FANTASY FOOTBALL: LESSONS?

My book is currently available at Barnes and Noble.com, Amazon.com and other book outlets on the web along with my website.

Thank you very much for your time!

Thank you very much Dorothy and have a great day.

###

1 comment:

  1. nice interview. i really dig this blog -- lots of good stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.