Interview with Jackie Griffey, Author of THE DEVIL IN MARYVALE

Jackie Griffey is a published writer, she and her husband, Jim, live in Arkansas where she is now working on a cozy mystery. Her books are available on the net from Amazon.com to Wal-Mart or type Jackie Griffey into Search for quick click to her page (www.jackiegriffey.com ) or blog (www.jackiegriffey.blogspot.com - Breaktime With Jackie) for more information on her six books now in print and those upcoming.

INTERVIEW WITH JACKIE GRIFFEY

TWL: When did your passion for writing begin?

Jackie: I joined The Penpoint writing group in 1993 and have been enjoying writing, all things related ever since, including research and the friendship of other writers - and reading their wonderful books!

TWL: Can you tell us what your typical 'writing' day is like?

Jackie: I check my e-mail - do what must be done immediately - bread to eat and run errands with my husband. Duties done, I work until four or five o'clock unless something is pressing like a deadline on an edit. This is seven days a week unless family and other duties call me away.

TWL: Do you write full time?

Jackie: Yes. And it seems to be paying off, at last. I have two books with Zumaya; two with Airleaf; two now under contract with another publisher 'in the works.' Publishing dates to be announced.

TWL: Can you tell us a little bit about your book?

Jackie: The latest already in print and available on the net and Amazon.com is the first of my Maryvale cozy mystery series, THE DEVIL IN MARYVALE. Logline: "Sheriff Cas Larkin investigates a brutal stabbing, from a trailer park on the industrial side of town to the Pine County Country Club. Uncovering the town's darkest secrets he incurs the wrath of the Pine County Judge and sets a trap for the killer in their midst." The town includes some 'gifted' citizens, the first novel introduces a psychic, the second, THE NELSON SCANDAL a mediau ho holds a seance; RECIPE FOR Trouble, a healer. There will be more of this series. THE DEVIL IN MARYVALE is available at Amazon.com for $9.95. It is also available from Double Dragon Publishing as an e-book on Fictionwise. Double Dragon also has my horror novel, WELCOME TO LAZARUS available on Fictionwise.

TWL: Who published your book and how has your experience with them been?

The Devil in Maryvale-Airleaf Pub. The Nelson Scandal-Airleaf Pub. Recycling Humanity-Airleaf Pub. Memphis in Our Hearts-Zumaya Pub. Once Burned-Zumaya Pub. Recipe for Trouble-Five Star (TBA) Spanish Eyes-Five Star (TBA) All of these publishers are really wonderful to work with, different ones like different things, I try to give them what they want. I'm very pleased with all of them.

TWL: Can you tell us the inspiration behind your book?

Jackie: I write mostly mysteries, because that's what I like to read. I enjoy romance-suspense also, and of course, anything with humor. To give you a hint: Memphis in Our Hearts took more research than any of my others and if you liked Gone With the Wind, you will enjoy it. Logline: "To the aftermath of the Civil War, Reconstruction, the onset of the yellow fever epidemic, and a society deaf to women, Jamai Allen must add a friend accused of murder."

TWL: Can you tell us ways you are promoting your book? Have they been successful?

Jackie: Amazon, word of mouth, SinC and other orgs, every place I can tell people about my books on the net. Successful? I know I've missed my chance to grow up to be Mary Higgins Clark, but I'm selling some books - and several people in my home town have bought them all and are waiting on my next book - bless-em!

TWL: Do you have a mentor?

Jackie: Many fellow writers and friends, to enjoy and learn from. We help each other What future projects do you have in the works? A romance and another Maryvale cozy mystery, plus promoting my scripts. I turned my horror novel into a script recently, attended the Arkansas Writers Conference June 2 - 3 and took first prize in the screenwriting contest over some really tough competition, so now I'm trying to find an agent for it. Wish me luck!

TWL: Can you give aspiring authors words of advice towards getting published?

Jackie: Keep writing. Keep sending things out. Keep rewriting. Keep proofing. Keep busy. You'll get there.

TWL: What’s one thing about your life that you think is important, but nobody asks?

Jackie: Considering all the other things you have to do, family, duty, recreation, how does writing rate on a l-10 scale?A. 6 or 7 - unless and edit is due, then it's ten till I get it done!

TWL: Thank you, Jackie!

###

If you are an author and would like to be interviewed, click here.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.