AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Fran Silverman, Author of TALK RADIO FOR AUTHORS

We have special guest, Fran Silverman, editor and publisher of Book Promotion Newsletter, a bi-weekly ezine for authors of all genres, and author of Book Marketing from A-Z (2005) and Talk Radio for Authors (2007), both published by Infinity Publishing, here with us today at The Writer's Life!

TWL: Welcome Fran to The Writer's Life! Can you tell us when your passion for writing began?

Fran: When I think back, I always loved writing - letters to friends and writing in my diary. I started as a newspaper reporter and only began thinking about becoming a published author when my husband and I spent a weekend in the Catskills and were blown away by its beauty. I then wrote a guidebook called Catskills Alive (2000 and 2003), followed by Long Island Alive (2003).

TWL: Can you tell us what your typical 'writing' day is like?

Fran: I spend a lot of time now on the computer since the newsletter has expanded into an on-line publicity service for authors and others. My writing is restricted now to writing book proposals since I am thinking about writing another book.

TWL: Do you write full time?

Fran: I mix up the writing and researching.

TWL: Can you tell us a little bit about your book?

Fran: My latest book, Talk Radio for Authors - Getting Interviews Across the U.S. and Canada, contains 230 talk radio shows with the contact information, theme and guest criteria. There are also bios of the hosts and their takes on the best and worst guests.

TWL: Who published your book and how has your experience with them been?

Fran: Infinity Publishing published my book. They are wonderful people to work with but I am unhappy with POD publishing because there is virtually no editing done and mistakes come through.

TWL: Can you tell us the inspiration behind your book?

Fran: I was inspired to write this book because as an on-line publicist I find many radio spots for my clients. I accumulated so many radio shows that I decided to write the book. The real reason was the need for this book. Radio websites are generally badly designed and provide little information useful to a potential guest, such as a show's theme or whether guests are welcome on - a problem I call "rookie radio." The hosts in my book are responsive - they responded to my questionnaire.

TWL: Can you tell us ways you are promoting your book? Have they been successful?

Fran: As author of a radio book, I have been on many radio shows talking about it. In fact, I will be on tomorrow night (Monday, May 21, 2007) on 91.5 FM in New York City, talking for a half hour about the problem with "rookie radio."

TWL: Do you have a mentor?

Fran: No.

TWL: What future projects do you have in the works?

Fran: I would like to write another book about talk radio and focus on what hosts are looking for. I'm in the process of compiling a questionnaire.

TWL: Can you give aspiring authors words of advice towards getting published?

Fran: Learn everything you can about the publishing business. Talk to other authors. Subscribe to my newsletter - the authors are super-supportive.

TWL: What’s one thing about your life that you think is important, but nobody asks?

Fran: I think that my clients have no idea how many bios I send out without a response. I charge very little and spend hours trying to get them exposure.

TWL: Thank for coming to The Writer's Life, Fran, and happy sales to you!

###

If you are an author and would like to be interviewed, click here.

Tags: , , , , , Book Marketing from A-Z,

No comments

Powered by Blogger.