Young Adult Fantasy Author Kim Baccellia Visits The Writer's Life!

Special guest today here at The Writer's Life is young adult multicultural fantasy author, Kim Baccellia! Kim is author of the book, EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA, which was a finalist in the 2006 Dream Realm Awards and a finalist in the Smartwriters 2006 WIN contest.

Ms. Baccellia's writing credits include numerous poems published in a variety of magazines, ranging from Beginnings magazine and Latino Stuff Review to Coil magazine. Her poem, My Father , appears in the Mind Mutations Anthology published by The Sun Rising Poetry Press. Her essay on the adoption of her son, Finally, Our Turn , appeared in both Adoptive Families magazine and the Adoptive Families 2003-2004 Adoption Guide . She is also a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators ( SCBWI).

You can visit her website at http://www.kim-baccellia.com/ and her blog at kbaccellia.livejournal.com.

Welcome to The Writer's Life, Kim! Can you tell us when your passion for writing began?

I can't remember a time when I didn't write. When I was in elementary school I wrote short stories. In middle school I wrote a horoscope column. I wrote for my high school paper and I even wrote my own newsletter while in junior college.
Can you tell us what your typical 'writing' day is like?

I try to get up an hour early each morning to get some writing in. Then I write every day while my son is in school. Later at night, I try to get another hour in.

In the summer I have to be more creative since my son's out of school. Whenever I find an extra fifteen minutes or more, I write.
Do you write full time?

Yes. I turn my phone off and I've even posted a sign on my door letting people know that I'm working. I found it's important to let others know you can't be disturbed during your writing
time.
Can you tell us a little bit about your book?

EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA is about a Latina teen who after rejecting the Mexican fables and stories of her grandmother finds herself in the parallel world of Ixtumea, where she confronts the very thing she shuns, her cultural heritage.
Who published your book and how has your experience with them been?

Virtual Tales is my publisher. I've been very happy with them. They have done a lot with my story. It first came out as an e-serial, then an ebook, and now it's in print! There's even merchandise with the cover art at CafePress.

Can you tell us the inspiration behind your book?

The lack of Latino heroines in fantasies and other literature. I was sick of the typical
British-orphan-boy-saves-world-story.
Can you tell us ways you are promoting your book? Have they been successful?

I've had a number of contests. I also have advertised with a couple teen sites such as Teens Read Too and YA Book Central. I have a live journal blog. I also belong to two professional writing organizations. It's too early to say whether or not they have been successful but I do
know that my name is out there.

Do you have a mentor?

Yes, I do. Lou Nelson at UCI extension program. She teaches the Novel class for beginners, immediate, and advance writers.

What future projects do you have in the works?

CROSSED OUT, a YA paranormal

BULLETS OF TRUTH, a contemporary YA

Also I'd like to write a sequel to EARRINGS.

And I have the outline to a YA Sci-fi, PHOENIX RISING.

Can you give aspiring authors words of advice towards getting published?

Don't give up! Be persistent. Being talented is only one small part of this business.

And write! Every day.

What’s one thing about your life that you think is important, but nobody asks?

I believe in following your dreams. If I didn't believe this, I would have listened to all those critics back when I was in high school that told me I'd never go to an university. Boy, did I prove them all wrong!


No comments

Powered by Blogger.