Author Interview: Tinisha Nicole Johnson, Author of SEARCHABLE WHEREABOUTS

Tinisha N. Johnson is an author, writer and poet. Her newest book, Searchable Whereabouts, a mystery novel is due to be released Feb 1, 2008. Tinisha resides in Denver, Colorado with her husband and two children. She writes for a local urban magazine called Denver's Finest Underground. Tinisha's passion for writing began at the early age of eleven. It has always been her hobby and pass-time and at the age of twenty-one, after her son was born, eight-years ago, she took her writing seriously and began pursuing it as a career. You can learn more about Tinisha at her website: http://www.tinishanicolejohnson.com/

Welcome to The Writer's Life, Tinisha. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

Well, I live in Denver, Colorado with my husband and two kids. And I am an only child. I’ve enjoyed writing since I was about eleven years old. English and creative writing were always my favorite classes growing up. Searchable Whereabouts is actually my fourth book, but the first to be published.

Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?
Searchable Whereabouts is a mystery novel about a woman, Rahkel Williams, who’s trying to unravel the mysterious death of her beloved uncle. However, after his death, she begins to find clues into his life that has her wondering who really was this man?

I wrote this book because I love mysteries, I’ve always loved mysteries. So I figured I’d tackle one of my own into a novel.

What kind of research was involved in writing “Searchable Whereabouts”?
Well, the story is based out of Indianapolis, Indiana. I do have some relatives there, but I don’t know the place very well, so I did have to research that. I also researched prisons, a little bit of my story involves a prison. And I also researched some crime settings and police departments.

How much input did you have into the design of your book cover?

My publisher picked my book cover and I fell in love with it.

Has it been a bumpy ride to becoming a published author or has it been pretty well smooth sailing?

It has been a very bumpy ride, because after I finally finished Searchable Whereabouts, it took about a year from then before I found a publisher. I was met with a lot of rejection letters.

For this particular book, how long did it take from the time you signed the contract to its release?

About four years.

Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

I don’t have an agent, but wouldn’t mind having one in the near future.

Do you plan subsequent books?
Yes, I’m working on my next book right now. It’s a suspenseful novel.

Are you a morning writer or a night writer?
Since I still work a full time job still, and have small children, I try to get the writing in whenever I can, but I do write a lot during the weekends at night, while everyone is asleep.

If money was no object, what would be the first thing you would invest in to promote your book?

The best publicist money could buy.

How important do you think self-promotion is and in what ways have you been promoting your book offline and online?

Self-promotion is extremely important. I’ve talked with authors who are with big time publishers and they still have to promote their book themselves. Publishers are limited to what they will do for you, so writing the book is just the first step. It’s an absolute must to promote your book.

Any final words of wisdom for those of us who would like to be published?

Read a lot and write everyday, even if it’s just how your day went.

Thank you for coming, Tinisha! Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?

Yes people can buy my book at bookstores and online at Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com.
Comment on Tinisha's interview by clicking here!
*******
SEARCHABLE WHEREABOUTS VIRTUAL BOOK TOUR '08 will officially begin on March 1, 2008 and continue all month. If you would like to follow Tinisha's tour, visit http://www.virtualbooktours.wordpress.com/ in March. Leave a comment on her blog stops and become eligible to win a free copy at the end of her tour! One lucky winner will be announced on this blog on March 31!
*******
Tinisha's virtual book tour is brought to you by Pump Up Your Book Promotion Virtual Book Tours at http://www.pumpupyourbookpromotion.com/ and choreographed by Rebecca Camareno.
*******

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to The Writer's Life, Tinisha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview Tinisha. Thanks for hosting her Dorothy.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.