AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Satire/Humor Author Tom Samuels

Tom Samuels was born in Allentown, PA, twenty-two years ago, and attends West Chester University where he will graduate this year with a B.A. in Communication. He plans to study the field of Creativity in graduate school. He has a comprehensive library on the history of American music, including biographies, recordings and sheet music. He plays the guitar and ukulele. He strives to find a good balance in his life through meditation, eating well, learning and creating.

Tom's second book, Stop Making Music, is based on a character he created who is
guaranteed to provoke a response with the reader. The book contains 136 essays written in the voice of an arrogant nitwit who wrestles with “evil” musicians, songwriters and producers. He developed this persona through essays he wrote on a blog, http://www.last.fm/user/bigsexyshaq/. Two years ago he published a book called Talm Psalms: The Complete First Season. It is a collection of futuristic, silly stories that incorporate humor and philosophy.

____________________________________________

Welcome to The Writer's Life, Tom. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

I was born in Allentown, PA, twenty-two years ago. I am currently attending West Chester University, studying Communication. Next, I plan to study the field of Creativity in graduate school. I am fascinated with the history of American music. I collect biographies, recordings and sheet music. I strive to find a good balance in life through meditation, eating well, learning and creating.

_____________________________________________

Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

Stop Making Music is based on a character I created through essays I wrote on a blog, http://www.last.fm/user/bigsexyshaq/. My blog attracted thousands of responses so I knew this was an interesting character. The book contains 136 essays written in the voice of an arrogant nitwit who wrestles with “evil” musicians, songwriters and producers.

_____________________________________________

What kind of research was involved in writing “Stop Making Music”?

My interest in the history of American music is laced through out the book. I make references to Gershwin, Al Jolson and Louis Armstrong. I also mention current musicians who will be the next Gershwins, Jolsons and Armstrongs.

_____________________________________________

How much input did you have into the design of your book cover?

It was my idea which was drawn by an artist, employed by the Art Book Bindery Company. This is the company I used to self-publish my books.

______________________________________________

Has it been a bumpy ride to becoming a published author or has it been pretty well smooth sailing?

As your question implies, it is very difficult for someone my age to get published. I have a stack of rejection letters to prove it. At this point in time, self-publishing was my only option.

______________________________________________

Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

I would love to have an agent. I appreciate that your blog offers this kind of information to unpublished authors. We need all the help we can get! Without an agent, authors find their only option is to go the route of self-publishing.

_____________________________________________

Do you plan subsequent books?

Absolutely! I will continue to write everyday. I can’t imagine a day when I no longer write. I have a few ideas for other books but it is too soon to describe them.

_____________________________________________

Are you a morning writer or a night writer?

I jot down ideas, long hand, in a journal during the day then type like the wind on my computer at night. Most of my work gets done at night.

____________________________________________

If money was no object, what would be the first thing you would invest in to promote your book?

I would create holograms of Jessica Alba reading my book and display the holograms outside of every mall.

____________________________________________

How important do you think self-promotion is and in what ways have you been promoting your book offline and online?

I am currently creating a website, www.tomsamuels.com, which will describe my two books, Stop Making Music and Talm Psalms: The Complete First Season. I’ll have my other projects available there as well, such as music and voice-over recordings. My books are available on amazon.com.

_____________________________________________

Thank you for coming, Tom! Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?

They can buy my book on amazon.com at: www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0615197132.


No comments

Powered by Blogger.