Is Your Ghost Holy?: An Interview with Author Shay Bills

Shay Bills is an anointed woman of God, born and raised in Paris, Texas by her late grandmother Bettie L. King. Bills and her husband Terry have three children. Recognized by many as a powerful speaker, teacher, and motivator, Evangelist Bills is truly a chosen vessel of the Lord. She shares her insightful and thought-provoking message to women’s ministries and speaks to the hearts of both young and old.

She is a natural educator, holding a Bachelor’s degree in English, a Master’s degree in Education Administration with Principal Certification, both from Texas A & M University in Commerce. She is a Texas Licensed Realtor with Century 21 Harvey Properties and Lighthouse Learning Daycare Center owner with Directors’ Credentials from the State of Oklahoma. Evangelist Bills obediently makes full proof of her ministry and is currently promoting her newly released book, Is Your Ghost Holy? Eight Principles for Evaluating Your Walk in the Spirit.


Welcome to The Writer's Life, Shay. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

Well, I could give you the long version but I don’t think we have time. So the short version is that I was born and raised in Paris, Texas, am married to a wonderful husband named Terry, have two-step sons Braxton and Terrance, a 16 year old daughter Ariole, multiple-small business owner, a Bachelor’s degree in English and a Master’s degree in Education Administration. I have been writing since I was a little girl. I had many growing pains as a child. My grandmother raised me and encouraged me to write to Jesus any time I needed to talk to someone. I would write Him and bury the letters in our front yard thinking upon deterioration the message would float to Him and He would answer. I am delighted to say, “He is just to answer.”

Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

Definitely. The book is entitled, Is Your Ghost Holy? Eight Principles for Evaluating Your Walk in the Spirit. It’s a reflective writing designed to assist the reader in an effective analysis of their walk in the Spirit. The book is written in simplistic style intentionally so that the message is not lost in delivery. Throughout the book, readers will journey through chapters of love, truth and life to discover the essence of the Holy One’s purpose in their life. About five years ago, the Lord delivered a Word through me entitled, “Is Your Ghost Holy?” That message stayed with me and was so alive that I began to journal because I was seeking answers of my own as to my purpose and God’s plan for my life. Overtime, the writings grew and the Lord continued to use me. Within the past year, I received instruction from on High to publish what was once simple writings and journals and to use a Christian publishing company for this first book. In obedience, “Is Your Ghost Holy,” is now available to all.

Has it been a bumpy ride to becoming a published author or has it been pretty well smooth sailing?

Initially, I must say it was a bumpy ride because I struggled with obedience at first. I let fear ride for about three months before I surrendered to the will of the Father concerning this book. So actually, the book should have been published months earlier. I think the Lord was still trying to help me “get over me.” Once I stepped out the boat, the process was pretty smooth. I worked with a group of wonderful Christians in the publishing and marketing business.


For this particular book, how long did it take from the time you signed the contract to its release?

From the time I signed the contract to the release of the book was four months.

Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

I do not have an agent. I do believe now, looking back that an agent may have been helpful. I did research and speak with two agents but ultimately decided to not use an agent for this first publication. This has truly been a work of the Lord, giving me one of the desires of my heart to be a published author while continuing to spread the good news of the Gospel.

Do you plan subsequent books?

Yes. Yes. Yes. I am currently in the middle of two books at the moment. I am in prayer because one of them is really a challenge and the other one is semi-autobiographical. Is Your Ghost Holy? has sparked so many different flames in my life from public speaking, hosting and conducting church group and business seminars and workshops. It has also introduced me to wonderful men and women all over the world and for that I am so appreciative. With the publication of future work, I pray to continue down the same path.

Are you a morning writer or a night writer?

I am a morning person PERIOD! I prefer to get up early in the morning for all things including writing, studying, working, cleaning, researching, etc… I think better in the morning, I’m more creative and I find that I take more risks in the am than in the pm.

If money was no object, what would be the first thing you would invest in to promote your book?

I have a two-fold answer. I would invest in online-television. We all know that technology is the wave of today but the power of television is still vital. Both reach millions and go a long way in promoting published authors.

How important do you think self-promotion is and in what ways have you been promoting your book offline and online?

If you do not promote your own work, you are non-existent. Self-promotion is absolutely important to the success or failure of an author’s work. Offline, I send out postcards, pass out business cards, create and distribute flyers, participate in interviews, participate on local radio shows, send out press releases to newspapers and network with other businesses to promote my book. Online, I submit press releases, regularly update my personal website and blog, promote my book on multiple social networking sites, post substantial work to blogs in the same field and leave my site address as well as participate on blogtalkradio stations online.

Any final words of wisdom for those of us who would like to be published?

Do not be afraid to publish your own work, especially if God has given you the green light to do so. Research the field and take your time. Publishing your first book is just like making a first impression, you only get one chance, make a good one.

Thank you for coming, Evangelist Shay Bills! Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?

Thank you so much for having me and I appreciate you and your readers in advance for your support. You can find me at www.ShayBills.com and while you’re there visit my blog as well. Order your copy of Is Your Ghost Holy? from my personal website or www.amazon.com, www.BlackCBC.com, www.target.com or anywhere fine books are sold. Thank you again for having me. God bless.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.