Interview with Becky Due, author of ‘Returning Injury’

Rebecca’s life just keeps getting better. With Jack away on business, she’s looking forward to four days alone to work on her new client’s PR campaign to help women take back their lives. But her past intrudes. Roy, the man who stalked and assaulted her years before, has been released from prison. Home alone in her big, beautiful house out in the country, Rebecca has to learn to take back her own life while facing her fears and regaining her strength. But will she be strong enough when she faces the ultimate test?

This is the premise of suspense author Becky Due’s new book, Returning Injury: A Suspense Celebrating Women’s Strength (Due Publications).

Becky, like the main characters of her novels, spent many years running from herself, looking for love, crying a little and laughing a lot along the journey of finding herself. Through writing, Due found her passion. She is the author of several books and is currently working on her next n
ovel.

She has been a guest on national radio programs and has been the subject of numerous newspaper and national magazine articles for empowering women through her novels. She has served as a guest speaker at Women’s Resource Centers, Shelters, Colleges and High Schools within the United States. Becky has had extensive training at Victim Services, worked the 24-Hour Sexual Assault Crisis-Line and was a Victim’s Advocate where she offered one-on-one assistance and support to rape victims. In 2007, Becky started, Women Going Forward, the first national women’s telephone support group, which ran for almost two years. After receiving much recognition for her novels, Becky’s focus turned back to her writing and empowering women through her novels.

We interviewed Becky to find out more about her exciting new book, Returning Injury, and her life as a published author.

Welcome to The Writer's Life, Becky. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. Like many writers, I started writing poetry, songs, short stories and lists. I like the act of putting pen to paper and writing down what matters.

In my twenties, I was good at running from my life. I had no problem jumping on a Greyhound bus and going wherever it would take me or living homeless in my car. I didn’t settle down or feel content in my life until I realized my passion for writing. I started putting my stories together to create my first novel, The Gentlemen’s Club, A Story for All Women, which involves parts of my life during that crazy time, mixed in with fiction. Today, I’m settled and happy in my life and career as an author.


Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

Returning Injury unfolds while you follow Rebecca for four days, and the chapters are in fact the time of day starting with Sunday 3:00 pm.

Rebecca’s perfect husband, Jack is away on business, so she’s looking forward to four days alone to work on her new client's PR campaign to help women take back their lives. But her past intrudes. Roy, the man who stalked and assaulted her years before, has been released from prison. Home alone in her big, beautiful house out in the country, Rebecca has to learn to take back her own life while facing her fears and regaining her strength. But will she be strong enough when she faces the ultimate test?

I’ve wanted to write a suspense novel, so I decided to take on the issue of stalking. According to statistics, stalking is getting worse and nobody is safe including celebrities. Ivanka Trump, Kim Kardashian, David Letterman and ESPN sports reporter Erin Andrews have been victims. A friend of mine has also been a victim of stalking and it is horrifying what they go through.

How did you come up with your title?

This is a story about a woman, Rebecca, who had been stalked and attacked by a man who has recently been released from prison. She fears that he might blame her and try to get revenge. So I looked up revenge in the dictionary and saw the words Returning and Injury; Returning Injury was perfect. Without giving too much away, Rebecca has to deal with other issues besides Roy, her stalker, so there are different angles of revenge or Returning Injury throughout this novel.


What kind of research was involved in writing Returning Injury?

I had to do a lot more research than I’d expected when I started this novel. I had to figure out the right location of this big beautiful house out in the country; the area had to have an issue with coyotes. I had to research laws and dive deeper into women’s issues, including some derogatory, seedy businesses. I also had to be clear about some medical concerns. I enjoy the research aspect of novel writing.


Has it been a bumpy ride to becoming a published author or has it been pretty well smooth sailing?

It’s been bumpy and smooth at times. I started with the traditional route of agents and publishers, but at the time I was poor, and I didn’t have the money to spend on a professional editor. Although I had eight agents interested in my first novel, The Gentlemen’s Club sat on a shelf for a few years. Once I was in a better situation financially and knew I had several books I needed to write, I chose to bypass the search for a publisher and to start my own company. Having several agents interested in my work was enough to let me know I had something worth sharing.


For this particular book, how long did it take from the time you signed the contract to its release?

I move quickly these days. I’ve had to learn through trial and error, but I love the process. My main goal today is to continue to put out great novels that celebrate the fun, strength and independence of women.


Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

Right now, I’m a free agent. I’m open to giving the traditional route a try, and I have been considering the idea of working with an agent in the future.


Do you plan subsequent books?

I love my characters, so every one of my novels connects with each other in some way. Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes it is not. By reading my next book, you will always know what is happening with characters from my previous books. For example, Rebecca from Returning Injury knows Angie from The Gentlemen’s Club.


Can you describe your most favorite place to write?

I’m not sure I have a favorite place to write other than every place. I write while sitting next to my husband during sporting events. I write in my different offices. I write at concerts. I write sitting in my car when I’m early for an appointment. I write at the beach. I write at the airport or while flying. I write in bars and restaurants.

I write when I’m inspired and when I have time on my hands.


If money were no object, what would be the first thing you would invest in to promote your book?

The best investment I can make is to continue publishing great novels. One novel seems to compliment the next which helps to grow my readership.


How important do you think self-promotion is and in what ways have you been promoting your book offline and online?

Self-promotion is the key, but it can be a struggle for introverted authors. I have recently shifted my focus to online marketing with book trailers, Blogging, Facebook and Twitter. And I’m having a great time with my virtual book tour.


What’s the most common reason you believe new writers give up their dream of becoming published and did you almost give up?

I think there are two reasons writers give up on their dream of becoming published. They either lack the confidence or lack the money. I’ve experienced both at different times, but I never gave up on my dream. Writing is so much a part of who I am—I’m not sure I have a choice.


Any final words of wisdom for those of us who would like to be published?

It’s tough, but if you want it, go for it… as with any dream.


Thank you for your interview, Becky. I wish you much success!

Thank you.


Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble.com are the best way to obtain your copies, although it will be available to order in most bookstores. You can visit Becky's website at www.BeckyDue.com for more information about the book.


No comments

Powered by Blogger.