Interview with Kathy Bell, author of "Regression"

Kathy Bell only found time to begin writing after she had accomplished many other goals in her life. A graduate of the University of Guelph, she puts her degree to work as a high school science teacher and a championship bulldog breeder. Her debut novel, Regression, hit the Amazon Science Fiction and Fantasy bestsellers list as a new release, peaking in the top twenty. The second instalment of the Infinion Series was released on 10/10/10, and the final novel will be launched on 11/11/11.

You can find Kathy online at http://infinionseries.com/, follow her on Twitter as @kathybellauthor, join her facebook fan page through http://facebook.com/theinfinionseries, read her blogs at http://kathybellauthor.wordpress.com/, or view her profile on Goodreads at http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2974246.Kathy_Bell.

Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life, Kathy Bell. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

A: I began writing my first novel while on maternity leave with my fourth child, three years ago. Prior to that, I had written articles and information pieces for business purposes, but never fiction. I am the type of person who is always doing something, and when the baby was fussy in the middle of the night I began pecking away at the keyboard rather than watching TV or simply surfing the Internet. Regression was my first attempt at a full length novel, and I am absolutely thrilled with the response from readers.

Q: Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

A: Regression is the story of a dedicated mother of six who finds herself reliving her teenage years in the eighties, although she has full memories of her previous life. She would be more than happy to recapture that life, but instead is pulled in a different direction by the actions of a group of people who have also come from the future. Together, the regressees strive to save the world from a disastrous event which threatens all of humanity, and Adya Jordan must play a key role.

My daughter Trinity is what one would call an 'old soul'; she seemed to be born knowing. Watching her develop, questions of fate, timing, and destiny toddled through my mind. Would she have been the same if first born? If born to me at a different time in my life? These thought experiments evolved into Regression, where I explore the concept of a main character who does not want to change anything about her life but is put in the position of having to give up her family to save the world.


Q: What were some of the biggest challenges you faced writing it?

A: Finding time! With four children, a championship bulldog breeding kennel, a farm, and a career as a high school teacher, making the opportunity to write was a challenge. I must thank my husband-my high school sweetheart-for his supportive efforts in that respect. Without his help, I could not have finished either novel. I enjoy keeping up-to-date on scientific discoveries and technologies, so doing the research was a pleasure rather than a chore.

Q: Do you have a press kit and what do you include in it? Does this press kit appear online and, if so, can you provide a link to where we can see it?

A: The website, http://infinionseries.com/ has a copy of the press release sent out with review copies of the novels. In this digital age, and with most of the sales numbers for Regression being in digital format, promotion has been focused on electronic avenues.

Q: Have you either spoken to groups of people about your book or appeared on radio or TV? What are your upcoming plans for doing so?

A: As a teacher, I am quite comfortable taking on speaking roles and continue to seek new opportunities to promote my novels. I completed a radio interview with a local station, 98 The Beach, in 2009, and participated as a panelist in a conference for Science Fiction writers discussing the challenges facing Northern authors. Also in attendance were best-selling science fiction authors Robert J. Sawyer and Julie Czerneda so I felt very priveledged to be a part of Social Science on the Final Frontier. I was also active at The Word On The Street events in Kitchener, Ontario, in 2009 and 2010.

Q: Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

A: I have not used an agent. I do think that for many authors, an agent can be an excellent resource for obtaining objective feedback about the manuscript, the publication process, and also for making connections. With my background in sales and marketing from running my own businesses, I was comfortable putting those skills to a new use, marketing my novels.

Q: Did you, your agent or publisher prepare a media blitz before the book came out and would you like to tell us about it?

A: With Regression, there was not a leading promotional blitz, but rather a building of momentum which culminated in placement on the Amazon bestseller list in December. For Evolussion, a more concerted effort of advance reader releases, book give-a-ways, and promotional activity has led to a great response from readers immediately follwing the release of the story.

Q: Do you plan subsequent books?

A: The sequel to Regression, Evolussion, was just released, and has already been well received by Kindle readers. The final instalment of the trilogy, Revolussion, will come out next year. I have enjoyed the entire process, and do plan on writing more stories across a variety of genres. If time permits!

Q: Thank you for your interview, Kathy. Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?

A: Thank you for taking the time to chat with me. My books are available through major online and brick and mortar retailers, as well as in ebook format for Kindle, Nook, iPad, and others. Signed copies are also available through Amazon and Northernsanctum.com.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.