Interview with Aaron Patterson, author of 'Airel'

Aaron Patterson is the author of the bestselling WJA series as well as a two Digital Shorts 19 and The Craigslist Killer. He was homeschooled and grew up in the west. Aaron loved to read from a small child and would often be found behind a book and would read 1-3 a day on average. This love drove him to want to write but never thought he had the talent. He wrote Sweet Dreams the first book in the WJA series in 2008. Airel is his first teen series and plans for more to come are already in the works. He lives in Boise Idaho with his family, Soleil, Kale and Klayton. His daughter had an imaginary friend named She.

His latest book is Airel. You can visit his website at StoneHouse Ink or connect with him on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1462837115.

Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life, Aaron. Can you tell us how long you’ve been writing and how your journey led to writing your latest book, Airel?

I have been writing for just over two years. I have two mystery/Thriller novels out and writing for the general market is fun but the teen market just spoke to me in that it is so hungry and it seems that teens are looking for good stories. I love this story and am excited to write the other books in this series.

Q: I love your title…can you tell us why you chose it?

Airel is the Greek spelling for an angel. I wanted all the names in this book to have a meaning so each character was chosen with this in mind. I know it seems funny with the way it is spelled but I think it will make it recognizable.

Q: Why did you believe your book should be published?

Not sure what to think of this question. I wrote it, so that is good enough right? Ha, well I love writing and love telling stories. I guess I believe this novel will in some way leave the reader in a better place after reading and maybe even change them in a lasting way. How is that?

Q: We all know that publishers can’t do all of the publicity and that some lies on the author. What has your publisher done so far to publicize the book and what have you done?

I do not worry about what anyone else is doing and take on all the responsibility of marketing my own work. If this series becomes a hit and takes off I will be on the front end pushing it and doing everything I can. We authors need to understand that we fail and succeed based on our own hard work not what someone will do for us. I plan to do a local campaign by giving out one signed copy of Airel to one High School girl in every HS in the Boise area. From there a massive Facebook and Twitter push and give-a-way’s and things like that. We are already seeing some great movement and the feedback has been amazing.

Q: What book on the market can it compare to? How is it different? What makes your book special?

I guess most any teen or YA book out there. Twilight, The Fallen series. This book is different as it changes from the main character POV to a different time frame. Bouncing back between times to see the other side of the story is compelling way to tell a story. It is also written from a 17 year old girl which written by a guy in this voice will keep you intrigued. I would say to read Airel and see for yourself.

Q: Open to a random page in your book. Can you tell us what is happening?

Airel is sitting in a theater watching a movie with her crush Michael. She notices that something is going on a few rows in front of her and watches as a man stabs the guy next to him, and to make matters worse he turns and looks up at her… Dun, dun, dun…

Q: Do you plan subsequent books?

Yes, this is book one and book two is called Michael. I plan on this being a three to five book series.

Q: Thank you for your interview, Aaron Patterson. Do you have any final words?

If you want more information you can follow my blog: www.TheWorstBookEver.blogspot.com. I am also on Twitter: Mstersmith and on Facebook. I respond to all fan mail so if you love the book shoot me a message and if you hate it send me some hate mail. Thanks so much and keep reading.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.