Interview with Bonnie Trachtenberg, author of "Wedlocked"



Bonnie Trachtenberg worked as Senior Writer and Copy Chief at Book-of-the-Month Club and has written seven children’s book adaptations. She’s also written for three newspapers, and has penned countless magazine articles.Wedlocked is her first novel. She lives on Long Island with her husband, stepchildren, and cats.


Please visit her blogs at:

http://www.BonnieTrachtenberg.com

http://www.Wedlockedthenovel.com

and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/WritebrainedNY


Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life Bonnie Trachtenberg. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

A: Thank you. It’s a pleasure to be here. I’m the author of Wedlocked: A Novel which was released in June 2011. I was formerly senior writer and copy chief at Book-of-the-Month Club. I’ve been writing most of my life, but I was first published in a national magazine back in 1990 (Ms.
Fitness). Since then I’ve written everything from feature articles to children’s book adaptations, video scripts to an advice column, and much more.

Q: Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

A: Wedlocked is the humorous and engaging tale of Rebecca Ross, a thirty-six-year old aspiring actress who lets years of disappointment and heartache catapult her into a disastrous marriage and onto a honeymoon from hell. I wrote the book because I lived it. Wedlocked was inspired by my first, brief calamitous marriage. Turning this tough time in my life into a romantic comedy was very therapeutic for me.

Q: What were some of the biggest challenges you faced writing it?

A: When you write a novel that’s based on true events, you tend to want to stick to things the way they really happened, but that doesn’t always make for the best story. The process of tweaking, amplifying or cutting scenes because of this can be difficult since you are so emotionally tied to the actual history. It was also important for me to wait a few years after the event before writing so I could be a little more objective.

Q: Do you have a press kit and what do you include in it? Does this press kit appear online and, if so, can you provide a link to where we can see it?

A: I’m bringing on a publicist next month to help me with that. However, I have a good deal of information about me and my book on my website: www.BonnieTrachtenberg.com

Q: Have you either spoken to groups of people about your book or appeared on radio or TV? What are your upcoming plans for doing so?

A: I’ve been a guest on WGBB Long Island radio twice, recently appeared on Blog Talk Radio, and will be appearing on a cable TV show called “Is the World Serious?” in September. I will also be having a book signing at the Bryant Library in Roslyn, NY on Sept. 14 at 7:30pm. Another big book signing is in the works as are many other media appearances.

Q: Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

A: I had a wonderful agent named Victoria Skurnick who works at Levine Greenberg Literary Agency, but although I received lots of great feedback, she couldn’t sell my book. I decided to self-publish instead of waiting to see if my second novel would make inroads. According to Victoria, selling first fiction to the big publishing companies is almost impossible these days. They are afraid to bank on unknown authors. Thank goodness writers have other options open to them now!

Q: Did you, your agent or publisher prepare a media blitz before the book came out and would you like to tell us about it?

A: My husband has become my business manager and he set up a Virtual Book Tour with Pump Up Your Book, as well as a social marketing blitz with help from a social marketing publicist. In September, a traditional book publicist will be coming on board, too. Aside from all this, I’m working night and day to make sure word gets out about the book.

Q: Do you plan subsequent books?

A: Absolutely. My second novel, also a romantic comedy, is in the editing phase and I plan to write many more. I will also be releasing a humor gift book this fall called The Fine Art of Delusional Thinking. I think the mood in the country calls for a healthy dose of laughter.

Q: Thank you for your interview, Bonnie. Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?

A: Of course. My website is www.BonnieTrachtenberg.com. The book’s website is www.Wedlockedthenovel.com. You can buy Wedlocked at Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, Books-a-million.com and iUniverse.com (see links on my website). If you are on Long Island, you can also stop in to Book Revue in Huntington or Blue Door Books in Cedarhurst for a copy.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:21 AM

    I enjoyed the interview. Where can I find a husband that can be my business manager?

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.