The Writer's Life Chats with Robert Nelson, author of "

About Robert Nelson
Robert Nelson was born and raised in Garner, North Carolina where he earned the connections and street credibility needed to bring a sense of authenticity to his work. Consequentially, this lead to his stay in the luxurious NC-DOC where through a lot of retrospection he developed a strategy to defeat what he had become. Through the guidance of the Aryan Brotherhood and the variety of other hardened criminals he played cards with he focused his energy into developing his skills as a writer to keep the youth from making the same mistakes he did. If he can open just one pair of eyes through his writing, everything he’s put into these pages would have paid off.

Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life, Robert A. Nelson. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing? 

A: My name is Robert Nelson and I’ve been a Garner, North Carolina native since my parents migrated here in the late 80’s. I’ve enjoyed sports throughout the duration of my life including everything from football and wrestling to martial arts. I lift weights as a hobby and try to find time to piece my 68’ Oldsmobile back together.

Q: Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it? 

A: I began writing as a way to pass time during the dull days inside the NC correctional system. I poured my creativity into my work as a way to vent the stress and angst of living in a perpetually hostile environment. My novel Real Eyez Realize Real Liez was my way of compressing the life lessons and knowledge I acquired through my time spent amongst Gang Members, and my mentorship underneath the Aryan Brotherhood into a positive format to share with the world. I feel that if I can show the young men and women of our generation “HOW” to not get sucked into the illusion of Gangsta/Rap Culture, it might inspire them to set an example for the next person and so on and so on. If I can open just one person’s eyes so that they avoid the tribulation I had to endure then I consider my work a total and complete success.

Q: What were some of the biggest challenges you faced writing it?

A: Honestly, the biggest challenge I faced during my time writing Real Eyez Realize Real Liez was brought on by the NC Correctional Staff, who deemed my work a hazard to myself and other inmates. They had their informants in the pods who would let them know if I was passing around material to other inmates. Then the Correctional Officers would come confiscate whole sections of my book as “Inappropriate Literature.” Eventually, it got so bad that I had to commit the entire book to memory and wait until I transferred to less strict camp to actually put it down on paper.

Q: Do you have a press kit and what do you include in it? Does this press kit appear online and, if so, can you provide a link to where we can see it? 

A: I have several Publicity Proposals and Distribution Plans I have acquired through my work with Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com, Bookmasters, CreateSpace.com, Facebook.com and PumpUpYourBook.com http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002802581996#!/profile.php?id=100002417106506 Amazon.com: Real Eyez Realize Real Liez eBook: Robert Nelson, Douglas Nelson, Kim Fontes: Kindle Store BARNES & NOBLE | Real Eyez Realize Real Liez: A Declaration of War on Urban America by Robert Nelson | Paperback http://www.amazon.com/Real-Eyez-Realize-Liez/dp/1461166438/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1319050766&sr=1-1-catcorr

Q: Have you either spoken to groups of people about your book or appeared on radio or TV? What are your upcoming plans for doing so? 

A: I have spoken during Writing Workshops being held locally and I’m currently on the waiting list for several radio podcast interviews that will be aired early next year.

Q: Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one? 

A: So far in my career I don’t feel it is necessary to have an agent in the self-publishing industry. Everything so far has been easily manageable from home.

Q: Did you, your agent or publisher prepare a media blitz before the book came out and would you like to tell us about it? 

A: I’m currently contracting with PumpUpYourBook.com to arrange a variety of media outlets to explore and hopefully get my work out there a little more. I personally have visited a number of underground hangouts that might be interested in my work as well as contacting certain chapters of local Bike Clubs in the interest of helping share my literature across the state.

Q: Do you plan subsequent books?

A: Real Eyez Realize Real Liez is actually a three part series. Currently I’m in the process of bring the second and third installments to life so that they can in turn be shared with the public.

Q: Thank you for your interview, Robert Nelson. Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book? 

A: You can find me on the web at Real Eyez Realize Real Liez on Facebook.com. Also my work is available on Kindle and in Paperback at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble.com, and CreateSpace.com. Again the title is Real Eyez Realize Real Liez by Robert Nelson on all three websites. Thank you again for your consideration, and with any luck, my readers may just learn something about the world and something about themselves from my work.

About Real-Eyez Realize Real-Liez


The War for the heart of Urban America won’t televise from some foreign shore. It’ll be fought in your living room with dope, cash, blood and bullets. The American way of life has strayed into the shadows and one by one we’re losing our children to the illusion of Hood Dreams and a Gangsta’s Paradise. Only one man stands strong enough to hold back the tide. A renegade Aryan Prodigy and his crew, and an unfathomable amount of guns are all that protects the last shreds of civilization in the streets. The name Riley Bennett will echo through the ages as he who so loved his people that he’d rather see the World in flames than see them suffer. The War is coming… Whether we’re ready for it or not…

No comments

Powered by Blogger.