Interview with Kraig Dafoe, author of 'Search for the Lost Realm'


Kraig Dafoe was born in Potsdam, New York and grew up in Canton. He played high school football and joined the United States Army Reserves at the age of seventeen.

Kraig married at the age of nineteen and moved to Virginia Beach, Virginia where he worked as a Private Security officer for The Christian Broadcasting Network and also attended the Tidewater Community College for business.

After five years as a security officer, he became a Deputy Sheriff for the city of Chesapeake Virginia.

Kraig left the Sheriff’s office after nine years of service and pursued a couple of different business opportunities before he went on to publishing his debut novel.

Kraig is the father of five children and he currently resides in Kansas, raising his youngest son.

His latest book is the fantasy/adventure, Search for the Lost Realm.

Visit his website at www.kraigdafoebooks.com

--------------------------

Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life!  Now that your book has been published, we’d love to find out more about the process.  Can we begin by having you take us at the beginning?  Where did you come up with the idea to write your book?

I came up with search for the lost realm while I was roll playing in the nineties. I spent a lot of time playing a game where I was immersed in a world of wonder and intrigue and I just wanted to share the excitement I felt with others.

Q: How hard was it to write a book like this and do you have any tips that you could pass on which would make the journey easier for other writers?

The most difficult thing about writing this story was making sure something I mentioned early in the book stayed true towards the end. I would get so engrossed in the story that I would often forget what I wrote weeks before and would constantly have to go back to make sure I was still on track.

The one tip I would give to other writers would be make side notes as you go pertaining to the important plot points. Keep them separate so you can glance at them as you write instead of having to go back into the file to look for them.

Q: Who is your publisher and how did you find them or did you self-publish?

I spent a lot of time trying to find agents and publishers but as an unknown, I eventually decided to publish myself. I would still prefer a publishing house and will seek one for further works.

Q: Is there anything that surprised you about getting your first book published?

When publishing on your own, there are surprises around every corner. I had to do a lot of research and the cost can be a little overwhelming but I learned a lot during the process and that can be beneficial in the future.

Q: Can you describe the feeling when you saw your published book for the first time?

I seriously thought it would be very exciting for me but I was a little underwhelmed. I had already read my work some hundred times or so and when I saw the finished product I was more relieved than anything.

Q: What other books (if any) are you working on and when will they be published?

I am currently writing my second fantasy adventure which I hope to have finished soon. I am going to solicit publishers again so if I were to get lucky, I’m sure it would be out next year. If I hit a wall with mainstream publishing again, I could put it out by the end of 2013.

Q: Fun question: How does your book contribute to making this world a better place?

I’m sure my book will not be directly responsible for making this world a better place but I hope it will entertain those in this world that need entertainment. I have been entertained by many over the years and now I would just like to give back.

Q: Finally, what message (if any) are you trying to get across with your book?

The book itself has no mainstream message but the fact that it’s out there shows that dreams really can come true. If you work hard enough and never give up, you can accomplish your goals.
  
Q: Thank you again for this interview!  Do you have any final words?

Yes, please check out my site at www.kraigdafoebooks.com and follow my blog. Thank you.




No comments

Powered by Blogger.