Up Close & Personal: Genevieve Crownson, author of 'The Soul of the Sun'

Up Close & Personal is one of The Writer’s Life newest features. Here we feature authors who don't mind spilling the beans and telling what it's really like to write, get published and sell that book.  Today's guest is Genevieve Crownson, author of the YA paranormal, The Soul of the Sun.  You can visit Genevieve's website at www.genevievecrownson.com.



On Writing…


Writing has always been a part of me. Growing up I could always be found with a pencil and paper—the stories poured out of me like hot lava. I would write about anything or anyone, no one was safe from my mighty quill. When I was older I began to compose full length novels and that is where I found my enchantment. I would spend hours disappearing in the captivating world of my unfiltered imagination. It was a place I could be or do whatever I desired. After I penned my first book, The Soul of the Sun I found I had unwittingly exposed my true calling. I haven’t ceased since. I am constantly writing, whether it be for my next novel or for my blogs. The more you write the superior your craft, so be diligent about putting pen to paper. When you draft something new you will find it usually surpasses the previous copy. So plunge in, throw caution to the wind and create that masterpiece that is bottled up inside you waiting to be released.

On Being Published…

My elation at seeing my book in print was akin to a groom watching his bride wend her way down the aisle in her wedding dress for the first time. My heart pounded, tears streamed down my face and I was perfectly petrified. It was the moment of truth. The stage was set for me to lose my maidenhood of authorship. What would people surmise? Would they enjoy the book? Thoughts raced through my mind, careening at high speeds through my wacky neurons. Despite the panic I recognized deep down my book was fresh and enticing and that I had to ignore my knocking knees and put on my big girl panties and just let go. I was conscious of the fact this was the only the beginning of my writing journey. Writing was the daring dream, so I let the biting dragons fade away in a puff of smoke and didn’t believe their naughty negativity. My first book The Soul of the Sun came out with wonderful reviews. The relief I felt was a soothing balm. Book two in the series The Power of Alchemy will be released soon. For a sneak peak you can go to my website: www.genevievecrownson.com. You will find my blog there and also find out what antics I get up to.

On Publishing Industry…

I’m excited about how the publishing industry has transformed. With the emergence of e-books people are devilishly dazzled by unexplored authors like myself. We joyfully launch ourselves through the hallowed halls of the undiscovered; our novels brandished high. Avid bookworms too are always hunting for the next mind-blowing tome; like tigers seeking prey. E-books make things cinchy with their low prices and instant delivery. And let’s face it the quicker you feed the tiger the better! I personally decided to self-publish because of my own eagerness to instantly enjoy the splendor of authorship. I wanted to drive that shiny new convertible around the neighborhood with the top down and get noticed. Being seen is super important. You want the paparazzi stalking you, taking your photos and tracking your every move.  Build a writers platform like one of those flashy photographers. Let them notice every aspect of you. Waltz into the room as if you are Angelina Jolie and demand attention. You are an author. Own it. Self-publishing guarantees that you can get started right away acquiring your own band of tigers. Just make sure you wear your best little black dress so that the paps see your best side. J (Male Authors: Please note the little black dress is just for metaphorical purposes. Please do not feel you have to put on a dress on my account. Unless you really want too! ;) )

On Marketing…

Marketing is almost a taboo word that makes many  creative’s cringe. It’s like kryptonite. Whereas most young woman I know would easily save superman from his one weakness (namely in hopes of getting close to those sexy abs of steel) the reality is no one is going to save you from doing your own promotional work. So roll up those sleeves and dive in. It’s a necessity and you must learn to embrace it if you wish to be a successful author. Marketing can be a gratifying game if you know how to deal your cards right. You just need to remember it will take time and perseverance.  A good place to start is to find people that are amazing at marketing and see what they do, or find people that will teach you how to market your work. For example, I follow people like Marie Forleo (No, not in that stalker kind of way I know you are all thinking of! I mean Facebook—obviously.) Marie has a great YouTube channel Marie TV where she talks about ways to be a rock star at promotion. Music videos included (I am not kidding. She is really funny!) Find someone that speaks to you, apply your best lipstick and make some noise. I was terrified of marketing at first, but now I find it’s a great way to meet my readers. Be prepared for them to want to know all the gory details, bits and pieces you’d prefer to keep hidden. For example, I am ashamed to admit that I’ve allowed myself to be manipulated by my cat. Majick lacking any principles has blatantly snatched my food with his pugnacious paw on multiple occasions. Check out my blog for the details: http://genevievecrownson.com/genevieves-journal/. I have a presence on Facebook, twitter, Instagram and Goodreads which I can’t recommend highly enough. This is where readers will discover what kind of trouble you’ve fallen into. They probably won’t post bail if you get into too much trouble so best to keep all shenanigans above board ( FYI). You could also consider doing a free giveaway on Amazon. I did and I was able to shoot to number one in my category. I was pleased that so many people were able to read my book. I am currently in the middle of my first virtual book tour so I will keep you posted on how that goes. I have met many wonderful people, and I feel truly blessed for the experience. I can’t wait to see what the future holds. Who knows? Maybe Superman will become my biggest fan and finally dump Lois Lane. What does she have that I don’t have anyway? I have way better writing chops. Just saying. J

On Goals and Dreams…

Cue the music…close your eyes…dream…

Oprah Winfrey sits down with New York Times Best Selling author Genevieve Crownson as they discuss her revolutionary Trilogy The Argos Dynasty. They chat about what brought her to write this cult phenomenon and how she is helping teens and adults everywhere to believe in themselves again. Find out how Genevieve is bringing back the notion love means something more than romance one book at a time. Pans to cheesy toothpaste commercial where you see a girl with a megawatt smile.

Now there’s a goal. 

Isn’t that every writer’s reverie? The lustful ache to be both the thriving writer and influencer all at the same time?  Wouldn’t it be wonderful to be able to make a difference in people’s lives doing what you love? I truly believe dreams can come true. Through hard work and determination anything is possible. Usually success is right within our grasp when we give up. If only we had given one last push! I plan on writing and moving forward no matter what happens. My tips are first and foremost believe in and love what you do, never give up and keep on writing.  Don’t let ferocious fear stop you. I wish you all the best of luck. Maybe one day we will meet on the Oprah network!

 About the Book:


“The hands of time turn on the face of the sun. Only you can move them. If the Watcher controls the hands of the clock he can go anywhere, past or future-- and destroy our planet.” 

Since the days of ancient
Greece, the Argos dynasty has kept a secret, a mystery passed down through their descendants from generation to generation, in the hopes that the forces of good can stop the evil destruction of planet Earth. 

Margaret Ingall is harboring that secret. Time is running out for the descendants of the
Argos. They know a great healer and time traveler will be born of their blood. But the only person that knows whom they will call “the soul of the sun” is Margaret’s sister, Abigail. Before she can reveal the healer’s identity, disaster strikes… 

Evil stalks them, watching and waiting to find out which member of her family has the ultimate power. Is it Margaret’s own child? Or her beloved granddaughter? Or even herself? Their only clue is a powerful protective amulet that will lead them all in a cat-and-mouse game to discover secrets as ancient as time.
 

If the Watcher discovers the truth before they do, all will be lost.
 

Fate, time and love weave together in their struggle to fulfill their destiny. Will Margaret’s fears sabotage her family’s protection? Can the healer accept her gifts in time? And once the soul of the sun is finally revealed, will it be too late?
 

Her power is incredible. The sacrifices required of her are immense.
 

Will it be enough to stop the Watcher?
 

For More Information

  • The Soul of the Sun is available at Amazon.
  • Find out about more books by Genevieve here.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.

 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.