A Conversation with Carly Duncan, author of 'Behind You'



Carly M. Duncan is a television producer by day and a writer whenever there is time. Her first short story was published when she was in high school after a writing group prompted her to begin blogging before it was cool. Carly’s debut novel, Marcie, was released in 2013. Though she’ll forever be a California girl at heart, she now lives in Brooklyn, NY with her husband, two children and beloved Westie.

Her latest book is Behind You.
For More Information
About the Book:

When a mysterious attack lands Heather in the hospital on the brink of death, her family rushes to her side. Through an inconvenient maze of shadowed memory and family secrets, Heather can trust only herself to discover if her husband, parents, sister or aunt tried to kill her. During the course of their own narratives, each character confesses to their various crimes of passion, envy and ignorance, weaving Heather's mystery into an untraditional tale about seizing the opportunity to start over.

For More Information


Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life!  Now that your book has been published, we’d love to find out more about the process.  Can we begin by having you take us at the beginning?  Where did you come up with the idea to write your book?

I was home alone and heard a strange noise while I was taking a shower. It sounded like an intruder in the house. I was paralyzed with fear. I didn’t know what to do. That is where Behind You’s main character’s story begins.

Q: How hard was it to write a book like this and do you have any tips that you could pass on which would make the journey easier for other writers?

The hardest part was remembering all of the little details that helped support the journey of solving the mystery. I kept having to go back over what I’d written to ensure all was accurate. I think having a more detailed outline could’ve given me better support – at a glance – and would have helped the process be more efficient.

Q: Who is your publisher and how did you find them or did you self-publish?

I self published after querying the book to many! I still wanted my story to be shared.

Q: Is there anything that surprised you about getting your first book published?

It is surprising how much work it takes to promote a book and spread the word!

Q: What other books (if any) are you working on and when will they be published?

I’m working on my third novel, tentatively titled The Lines, about a deep, sometimes unhealthy relationship between two women. My goal is to publish it in time for the holidays in 2015.

Q: What’s your favorite place to hang out online?

I love checking my Instagram feed. And, don’t tell anyone, but I may be addicted to Pinterest.

Q: Finally, what message (if any) are you trying to get across with your book?

At the core, Behind You is about seizing control of your own life, taking action and doing the work required to bring you to a place of happiness.
  
Q: Thank you again for this interview!  Do you have any final words?

Please let me know what you think of Behind You when you read it! I’d love to hear from you. Contact me via my website at www.carlyduncan.com.

http://www.pumpupyourbook.com


No comments

Powered by Blogger.