Virtual Book Tour: Interview with Children's Book Author Lisa McDonald






Lisa McDonald is an author and radio host. Her children’s books, LITTLE BOY GAN FROM PASSION-FILLED EVERLAND and REIMBURSE THE UNIVERSE, take readers, young and old, on journeys with diverse characters that teach lessons of acceptance, understanding, and sharing. Lisa’s radio program, Carpe Diem, promotes personal empowerment and showcases world-renowned authors, speakers, and musicians.

Writing has been a long-time passion for Lisa. “I have been writing since the age of five. I always wrote poetry, short stories, anthologies, essays. My maternal grandmother foresaw me being a writer/author from a very young age and encouraged me to pursue it. As a result of reinventing myself due to a change in personal/familial circumstances, it became clear to me that writing was not meant to be a hobby but rather my vocation.”

Lisa’s third and fourth books, PLANET POME-GRANITE and KISMET TALES FROM HAPPY TRAILS, are forthcoming in late 2015 and early 2016.

For More Information

Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life!  Now that your book has been published, we’d love to find out more about the process.  Can we begin by having you take us at the beginning?  Where did you come up with the idea to write your book?

I have been writing since the age of five, and have continually written throughout my entire life. It was due to a change in personal circumstances, that I reinvented myself and my career. I got very clear as to what it is I am most passionate about and decided to then turn my hobby into a vocation - a labour of love. My idea to write children’s books (soon changing my genre to adult material) was primarily motivated by my children, and my choice and necessity to always make them my number one priority as the result of being a single parent.

Q: How hard was it to write a book like this and do you have any tips that you could pass on which would make the journey easier for other writers?

Truthfully, writing the book is the easiest part of the process (in my humble opinion). The hard and necessary work comes from what follows after the book has been written - particularly if you are self-published. In order to gain exposure, build momentum, and market your product(s), one must be fierce and consistent with wearing many hats and juggling many balls. One often times has to learn to become comfortable with being uncomfortable - meaning - you have to self-promote diligently as well as regularly interface with the public, store managers, anyone for that matter who is classified as your demographic audience. One must consistently expand their business so as to enable their product/work to become as far-reaching, accessible, and widespread as possible. My advice is to implement these vital strategies every day, and to anticipate delays, setbacks, and challenges while all the while, remaining committed to the process and both your short-term and long-term goals.

Q: Who is your publisher and how did you find them or did you self-publish?

I have been self-published up until just recently. I am now partnered with FriesenPress Publishing. As a result of also making videos for the Internet, I had not long ago made a video speaking to the subject of kindly asking listeners, supporters, and fans, to graciously provide me with any referrals they may have of publishers, and/or publishing companies. One such individual, kindly offered FriesenPress as a suggestion in the comments section of my video. It has resulted in a flourishing and beautiful partnership.

Q: Is there anything that surprised you about getting your first book published?

The timing in which my journey has exponentially ramped up and gained momentum, is probably the most surprising - top of what this list entails, would be my very recent telephone conversation with my ongoing contact person at FriesenPress, whom only days ago, confirmed for me over the telephone that the partnership is now a green-light. The contract will soon be officially signed.

Q: What other books (if any) are you working on and when will they be published?

I currently have two children’s books out in print and on actual book shelves. My third and fourth children’s books are currently being illustrated. The third book, Planet Pome-Granite, is on target to go to print and released in the fall of this year (2015). My fourth children’s book, Kismet Tales from Happy Trails, is expected to be available for purchase by spring of 2016.

 Q: What’s your favorite place to hang out online?

Given that I generally have regular updates and announcements pertaining to my work and other related endeavours; I am a radio show host as well on The Contact Talk radio Network – go LIVE every Friday at 11:04am EDT - I am on social media a considerable amount of my time. Specific websites I derive much daily inspiration from would be inclusive of, The Writer’s Circle, The Master Shift, and Purple Clover.

Q: Finally, what message (if any) are you trying to get across with your book?

Although each book is unique with its own individual message, the underlying premise to all of my work, speaks to human connectedness, kindness, love, passion, compassion, humility, and paying-it-forward. I am extremely grateful that my work is resonating with all demographics regardless of whether or not people have children and grandchildren, or not. Teachers, and schools have been purchasing my books as well as inviting me to classroom book-readings, and annual book-fairs. Mothers have been reading my books to their unborn children. People have kindly been purchasing my books and have graciously donated them to school/public libraries, women shelters, and hospitals for children.  The reception has been incredibly lovely.
  
Q: Thank you again for this interview!  Do you have any final words?

I always take full-advantage of any and all opportunities to properly extend my wholehearted gratitude to anyone and everyone who has played a role in my journey. I could not be here without the immense support I have graciously received from my friends, family, community, mentors, partners and collaborators. From the centre of my heart, thank-you!

About the Books:


Title: Little Boy Gan From Passion-Filled Everland
Author: Lisa McDonald
Publisher: Lisa McDonald
Pages: 36
Genre: Children’s Picture Book
McDonald’s first book, LITTLE BOY GAN FROM PASSION-FILLED EVERLAND, tells the story of ten-year-old Gan. Gan is humble and wise with a loving spirit that he shares with the animals he meets in the magical forest where the story takes place. The curious animals watch Gan and observe his kindness and humility. Soon they seek the boy out to learn the secret of his happiness. The old soul gives his new friends advice on humility, passion, compassion, and paying it forward. The impact Gan has on the animals is life changing. The lessons they learn lead to expressions of gratitude for their individual gifts and embolden them to share their passions with the world.

For More Information

  • Little Boy Gan From Passion-Filled Everland is available at Amazon.

Title: Reimburse the Universe
Author: Lisa McDonald
Publisher: Lisa McDonald
Pages: 36
Genre: Children’s Picture Book
In REIMBURSE THE UNIVERSE, a diverse cast of characters continue the theme of people sharing their best selves with the world. The message of this book focuses on giving back to the universe by honoring and respecting ourselves and others and understanding that all human beings are part of a collective whole. Each page in the book offers examples of how individuals can give back to the collective out of appreciation for the many gifts that the universe has provided all of us.

For More Information

  • Reimburse the Universe is available at Amazon.


No comments

Powered by Blogger.