The Writing Life with Sally Fernandez, Author of CLIMATIZED

Sally Fernandez is a world traveler and political junkie with a vivid imagination. She and her husband divide their time between their homes in Florida and in Florence, Italy. 

Links: 

What’s inside the mind of a political fiction author?

Murder, mystery, mayhem and, of course, politics. When I wrote my first novel, Brotherhood Beyond the Yard, people often asked my husband, who is also my content editor, “Where does she come up with these ideas?” His reply was, “We eat the same food, drink the same wine, and sleep in the same bed. I have no idea.” After the second novel, Noble’s Quest was published, his reply was, “All I know is that I sleep with one eye open.” Most important, I take to heart the words of Pericles when in 435 BC he said, “Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn’t mean politics won’t take an interest in you.” That is why I find it fascinating to take current political events and weave them into a fictional tales to engender the ultimate question, “What if?”

What is so great about being an author?

I am able to expand my mind as I research new topics, and in using my overly imaginative mind, I hope to expand the minds of others. The world of a published author has also provided unique experiences with TV and radio interviews. And I’ve been able to meet some fascinating people along the way. 

When do you hate it?

When it moves into the inevitable marketing/promoting stage and removes me from my creative world…not that I don’t use my ingenuity in marketing, but it is clearly not as appealing. 

What is a regular writing day like for you?

My writing environment may vary with the offices in my home in the United States and another in my home in Florence, Italy. And while these locations may somewhat inspire aspects of my plot, they primarily provide a quiet haven for creating. Then comes the hotel room somewhere in the world, when my husband and I need a change of venue.  What does not change is my routine. Each day starts with a morning workout to clear my head, preparing me for six to seven hours of steady writing and/or research. At the end of each day, I’m greeted with a glass of wine from my husband, who is also my editor. That’s when we discuss the current status of the book, what I am working on, what he was editing, or what is in the offing. 

Do you think authors have big egos? Do you?

When you first publish, it’s natural to have an inflated sense of oneself. How many people can write and publish a book? But for me that quickly faded away after the first novel, when writing became a profession, one I continually try to perfect.

How do you handle negative reviews?

Relish them. I try to put myself in the mind’s eye of the reader to determine whether there is a better way to express my point of view. I find it invaluable to help me shape my writing going forward. And having your spouse as your editor helps you to develop a thick skin. I’m all for anything that will help me to produce the best product, in my case, the great American novel. 

How do you handle positive reviews?

Relish them. And post them everywhere after I’ve done a few cartwheels. 

What is the usual response when you tell a new acquaintance that you’re an author?

Most people are quite interested and quickly ask what I write about. When I mention political thrillers they are immediately taken aback. Evidently, my genre is not something most people expect from my gender. 

What do you do on those days you don’t feel like writing? Do you force it or take a break?

I never feel like not writing, but I do try to force a break one day a week, so my husband and I can have some semblance of a normal life. Fortunately, he likes editing and discussing the books as much as I like writing them. 

Any writing quirks?

I do have a tendency to read aloud, and occasionally make facial expressions and strange sounds in an effort to describe them in the book.


What would you do if people around you didn’t take your writing seriously or see it as a hobby?

Ignore them. 

Some authors seem to have a love-hate relationship to writing. Can you relate? 

Absolutely not. After the completion of each manuscript, my husband says that we succumb to the Post-Partum Publication Syndrome. Even with the long hours, the tight deadlines, and the missed social events, there is nothing I love more than writing, except for my husband. 

Do you think success as an author must be linked to money?

Dollar signs can’t possibly make you a better writer, but it can help to prolong your career.

What has writing taught you?

I’ve become a better student of words and grammar and it has become apparent in normal discussions, presentations, and everyday life. Fortunately, storytelling is part of my DNA. 

Leave us with some words of wisdom.

“Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn’t mean politics won’t take an interest in you.” Pericles, 435 BC



////////////////////////////////////

Title: Climatized: A Max Ford Thriller
Genre: Political Fiction
Author: Sally Fernandez
Website: www.sallyfernandez.com
Publisher: Dunham Books

After resigning her post at the States Intelligence Agency, Maxine Ford declares her independence as she bursts onto the Washington scene as a private investigator. She displays her usual no-holds-barred style, showing no obeisance to the elite politicians. Right out of the starting gate, she finds herself in the cauldron of mystery, murder, and mayhem. All of her clients are warned to prepare themselves for the truth…at all costs.

In Climatized, Max is hired by the wife of a prominent senator to determine the cause of his untimely death. It leads her to discover that three world-renowned scientists had lost their lives days before they were scheduled to testify before the late senator’s investigative committee. Meanwhile, a fourth scientist has gone missing. Max determined he is the key to unearthing the motives behind the deaths. Following the many twists and turns, Max and her associate, Jackson Monroe uncover a powerful organization responsible for the killings. Cogent evidence is provided to the president, forcing him to make a crucial decision—to cover up a diabolical plot—or bring down a multi-trillion-dollar world-wide economy.

Fernandez’ crackerjack international thriller once again expertly weaves fact with fiction. Readers will be beguiled by the artistic marriage of established facts with a storyline that lifts creativity to new heights. A classic blend of character study and well-plotted action sequences keeps the pages turning faster and faster. A hair-raising page-turner from start to finish.




No comments

Powered by Blogger.